Friday, September 15, 2006

Moving in

On sea trial day Nick, my first crew ever shows up, and we both get to give Keturah a try.
The boat is swift in the water, steady and easy to handle, and soon enough we have a good command of her. Nick has no sailing experience apart from a brief spell on a tallship, but his four years in the coastguard and a passion for surfing and weather forecasting makes him a natural aboard.
The boat is taken, and in a few days we'll be moving on her.
A few trepidant days while the money comes in and I can take possession of the boat, and then at last after much painful awaiting all goes through and I can move on.
A couple days are spent working to clean the boat and making her to my liking, shifting gear around, checking batteries and other details I couldn't get into while the owners were still living aboard.
The night I move in, I buy a bottle of NZ sparkling wine, and me, Richard and Charlotte from D'Urville toast to Neptune, to the boat and me, and have a pleasant evening in the sheltered cockpit...for once it isn't raining!

No comments: